Have you ever heard: You just need to REST! I have. So many times. I’ve even bossed myself.
Have you ever wondered: HOW DO I rest when my life won’t and can’t stop?
Life is busy. As wives, mothers, sisters, daughters, neighbors, leaders, and ministry wives, we are stretched and pulled in so many directions. Each season has its own recipe for busyness.
the school work,
the doctors appointments,
the ministry events,
the cleaning and cooking and grocery store shopping,
the Bible studies,
the hurting friend or neighbor,
the have to’s,
the want to’s…
all vie for our attention and energy and can leave us weary and worn out. You may even feel buried in your busyness.
* We may all WANT to find rest but HOW do we LIVE IN REST when life keeps going?
* How can we be HEALTHY ministry wives who live in contented rest and peace even as our lives run crazy?
I’m still working this out for myself. But when I think of weary and rest, my heart goes back to the words of Jesus and his life-giving, relevant truth in Matthew 11:28-30:
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Rest is found in Jesus. Come to him weary and beat up and burdened. It’s not about a to-do list or a 3-step plan. It’s not in pushing through or gritting it out or just trying to get to the other side. Deep soul rest is found in coming to Jesus in the middle of your weariness and burdens.
Here are 5 ways to come to Jesus:
- In the morning as you anchor yourself to his truth.
- In prayer as you pour out your worries and concerns and tasks at hand.
- In repentance as you confess your inadequacies and brokenness and admit your need for him.
- In surrender as you believe his plan for you is better than your plan for you. That he knows better than you do in his deep love for you.
- In obedience as you choose to do the things he calls you to do.
Listen, my friend. It may take some practice. Keep coming to Jesus. When you come to Jesus in all these ways, you will find rest for your soul. It’s a promise. And, God is faithful to all his promises.
How can you rest today?